Who is Austin Edwards?: Man Died in a shootout With Police During Car Chase After Being Pursued in Connection With Three Homicides

The police shot and killed a man last week after he opened fire on a SWAT team sent to track down his car. The man was wanted in connection with a triple killing. At a residence in Riverside’s La Sierra area, Austin Edwards, 28, is charged with the murders of Mary Winek, 69, Sharie Winek, 65, and Brooke Winek, 38. After killing the girl’s grandfather, grandmother, and mother, Edwards allegedly set a house on fire before the police arrived and abducted a teenager.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department determined that Edwards was armed and potentially violent. Thank goodness, no harm came to the girl during the chase, and she was placed into protective custody. The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office investigators claim that the adolescent was a victim of an internet catfishing scheme in which Edwards was engaged. 

The 28-year-old is thought to have left his home in North Chesterfield, Virginia for California after obtaining the girl’s personal information in order to find her.

What the Police Said About Edwards

According to CBS News, Riverside Police Chief Larry Gonzalez remarked, “This is yet another horrifying reminder of the criminals available online who prey on our children.” “If you and your children have already discussed how to stay safe online and on social media, do so again. If not, begin it right away to better safeguard them.”


On November 25, Edwards was allegedly seen by the police operating a red Kia Soul on Highway 247. The Kia was being followed by helicopters from the sheriff’s office and California Highway Patrol until a SWAT squad was put together close by because the car fit the description of the one connected to the triple killing in La Sierra.

The SWAT team reportedly blocked Edwards’ car as he proceeded to go east on Highway 62. As a result, the suspect ran and began to fire at the cops, hitting the SWAT vehicle several times. When Edwards “lost control” of his car and veered off the road, the pursuit came to a stop. When he got out of the Kia Soul and started firing again in their direction, the police shot and killed him. 

An autopsy will be performed to ascertain the cause of Edwards’ immediate death. By the time he was killed, the police had already rescued the teenager, according to the sheriff’s office.

You May Also Like