About Western Cape Department of Health
The Western Cape Department of Health delivers a comprehensive package of health services to the people of the province. Health services include child health, emergency medical services, family planning, forensic pathology services, women’s health, TB and HIV/AIDS, men’s health, psychiatric services and home-based care.
Western Cape Department of Health Bursaries
The Western Cape Department of Health bursaries provides financial support for full-time study each year in critical health science fields. Some of these fields may include Nursing, Medical (MBChB), Pharmacy, Radiography and Emergency medical care. More health science study fields may be added or removed per academic depending on the Department’s needs.
Bursars holders are expected to submit all academic progress and results to the Department. Upon graduation, the bursary holders will have the obligation to work for the Department on a year for a year basis.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizen and resident of the Western Cape
- Registered at the relevant accredited Higher Education Institution (HEI)
How to Apply and Application Details
You can apply for Western Cape Department of Health Bursaries in one of the following ways:
1. Online at: www.westerncape.gov.za/healthbursary. You will be required to Register an account before you can Login and apply.
Please note: Medical (MBChB) students must apply via the online method if applying to study outside the Western Cape.
2. Download and complete the Western Cape Department of Health Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric June results, if currently in Matric (certified copy)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Motivational letter explaining why you deserve to be awarded a bursary (addressed to the Bursary Committee)
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (payslips/ SASSA letter/ tax certificate) (certified copies)
- Proof of residence (rates/ lease agreement/ account statement/ affidavit)
- Proof of disability, if disabled
Applications must be submitted to your tertiary institutions financial aid office:
UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN CAPE (UWC)
- B Cur Nursing
- B Pharmacy
Contact Person: Ms E Seleke
Tel: 021 959 9754
Postal Address: Attention: Ms E Seleke, Financial Aid Office Private Bag X17 Bellville 7535
CAPE PENINSULA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY (CPUT)
- B Tech Nursing Science
- Emergency Medical Care
Contact Person: Mr Claasen
Tel: 021 959 6253
Postal Address: Attention: Mr Claasen, Financial Aid Library Extension P.o. Box 1906 Bellville 7535
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN (UCT)
Contact Person: Mr Z Baker
Tel: 021 650 3632
Postal Address: Attention: Mr Z Baker, Student Financial Aid Level 3, Wilfred And Jules Kramer Building, Cross Campus Road, Middle Campus Uct, Rondebosch 7700
UNIVERSITY OF STELLENBOSCH (US)
Contact Person: Neliswa Sigonyela
Tel: 021 938 9458
Postal Address: Attention: Ms N Sigonyela, Faculty Of Health Science, Po Box 19063, Tygerberg, 7505
Applicants for MBChB at a university outside the province must send the application forms directly to the Western Cape Government: Health.
30 September annually
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Western Cape Department of Health directly:
Tel: 021 483 6610 / 021 483 3465 / 021 483 7038 / 021 483 6597
Fax: 086 609 9893