How to Use *929# to Renew Your NHIS Membership in Ghana
Want to access and renew your NHIS Membership card in Ghana? The National Health Insurance Scheme membership has introduced the mobile renewal service that allows members to renew their membership without much hassle.
What Is the Shortcode for NHIS Renewal?
In this article, I will show you how to access and renew your NHIS membership using the newly introduced shortcode *929# from any phone network.
How Do I Renew My NHIS Membership?
1. Dial *929#
2. Select Option 2
3. Select NHIS Card
4. Enter the 8 Digit Membership Number
5. Press Send
6. Follow the instruction for payment.
How to Check Your NHIS Membership Validity
1. Dial *929# – All Networks
2. Choose Option 1
3. Select NHIS Card
4. Enter Your Membership Number
Why Mobile Renewal?
The Mobile Renewal Service takes away the time-wasting periods and other inconveniences at NHIS District Offices when going for renewals.
Who Can Register as a Member?
Every person resident in Ghana other than the Armed Forces of Ghana and the Ghana Police Service shall belong to a health insurance scheme licensed under this Act.
Where Can I Register?
You can register at the District NHIS office near you.
How much does it cost to renew NHIS on phone?
Premium is set from GH¢7.2 (minimum) to GH¢48.00 (maximum). Payment could be made at the NHIS district office.
How long does it take to renew my membership?
Renewal of membership is instant if you are not a defaulting member. Defaulting members serve a one (1) month waiting period before they can access health care on the NHIS.
Do I have to pay a fee for Undergoing a Surgical Operation ?
Most surgeries are covered under the NHIS. Where you are not sure, please contact your district office or the NHIS Call Centre. 0544446447, shortcode 6447 (MTN and Vodafone)
How Do I Access Health Care?
1. To access health care with your NHIS card:
2. Go to your selected Preferred Primary Provider (PPP) with your card.
3. Present your card to the person in charge at the outpatient department or front desk of the health facility.
4. Officials of the health care facility will check the validity of the card and your biometric information.
5. Following confirmation of the validity and your details, you will be attended to.
6. Do not leave your card at the health facility after accessing health care.
How Do I Get New NHIS Card Replaced?
Your card will need to be replaced if it is:
For replacement of your card:
- Contact the district office or NHIS agent in your community.
- Fill a replacement form and pay the processing fee where applicable.
- You will be issued with a new ID card
What You Should Know about Membership Renewal
1. Membership is valid for one year. Members will therefore be required to renew their membership every year.
2. Members are advised to renew their membership one month before expiry.
3. Members shall present their ID cards for renewal.
4. Members who fail to renew their membership after one year will have their membership deactivated.
5. Members who fail to renew their membership three months after expiry shall be treated as defaulters.
6. Defaulters shall serve a three-month waiting period before accessing healthcare under NHIS, except for pregnant women and under five-year-olds.
7. The membership card of all categories of members expires after five years. Membership cards shall therefore be replaced once every five years.
What Information is Needed for Membership Renewal?
At renewal, you will be required to fill a renewal form with the following information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- NHIS member unique number
- Contact number
- Residential address
- Biometric information