Dual Citizenship Application In Ghana, In accordance with the Citizenship Act of 2002 (Act 591), Ghanaians who have acquired US Citizenship, are eligible to apply for dual citizenship.
Guidelines on Dual Citizenship Application In Ghana
Applicants are required to complete a Dual Nationality Application Form at a cost of $200. The Form has to be fully completed before submission to the Consulate for onward transmission to the Ministry of Interior in Accra.
Requirements for dual citizenship application
A completed application is to be accompanied by:
- A photocopy of your U.S.A Naturalization Certificate/ U.S passport
- Six (6) passport size photographs
- Evidence of Ghanaian Nationality (Parent’s nationality – photocopy of passport or Birth Certificate/ Birth certificate/ Voter’s ID card/ Ghanaian Passport)
- Contact telephone numbers OR
- Names and address of two relatives residing in Ghana
- Photocopy of the receipt issued when the application form was purchased
- Application forms can be obtained from the Ghana Consulate General, New York or the Ghana Embassy in Washington D.C.
- Prospective applicants who live outside the locations indicated above and wish to purchase the form can send money order of $200 per form with a note requesting for the Dual Nationality Application Form. Include a self address and trackable return envelope.
- On acquiring the dual citizenship, a holder will be entitled to apply for Ghanaian passport in addition to their US passport. It is an offence however, for a dual citizenship holder to use two passports interchangeably to deceive an immigration officer.
Money Order, Cashier’s check or Certified bank check made payable to The Mission of Ghana.Note
- Personal and company checks are not accepted.
- Please do not mail cash.
- Fees for Dual Citizenship processing are non-refundable.
Other Information on Dual Citizenship Application In Ghana
- Dual citizenship applications are processed by the Ministry of Interior, Ghana and currently take between six (6) and twelve (12) months to be processed;
- Upon successful processing of the Dual Citizenship application, the applicant will receive a Dual Citizenship certificate and a Dual Citizenship ID Card.
- It is an offence for a holder of dual citizenship to use two passports interchangeably. You should use only one passport. (British or Ghanaian) when travelling. When using the British passport you need not procure a Ghana visa. Present your passport along with the dual citizenship ID card to the Immigration Officer at the port of entry.
- Holders of dual citizenship cannot hold certain specified offices in Ghana, including the following:
- Chief Justice and Justices of the Supreme Court
- Ambassador/High Commissioner
- Secretary to the Cabinet
- Chief of Defence Staff
- Inspector-General of Police
- Commissioner of Customs, Excise and Preventive Service
- Commissioner, Value Added Tax Service
- Director of Immigration Service
- Director-General, Prisons Service
- Chief Fire Officer
- Chief Director of a Ministry
- Rank of Colonel in the Army or equivalent in other security services
- Any other public office that the Minister may prescribe by Legislative Instrument
Dual Citizenship Application forms can be obtained from the Ministry of the Interior, Ghana
On acquiring the dual citizenship status, applicants would be entitled to apply for a Ghanaian passport besides the passport of the other country whose citizenship they have already acquired.
Under the Dual citizenship law, it is an offence for a dual citizenship holder to use two passports interchangeably to deceive an immigration officer.
Those who violate the law would be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding 250 penalty units or a term of imprisonment not exceeding a year or both.
In this connection, all dual citizens are required to travel only with their certificates of Dual Citizenship and only one passport of their choice
It is anticipated that successful applicants would be able to receive their certificates within six months
All enquiries to be sent to [email protected]
BENEFITS of Dual Citizenship Application In Ghana
Dual citizenship policy is argued to create the following benefits.
- It provides the individual the right to obtain passports from either country of citizenship.
- It creates simpler procedure for individuals revisiting former homelands for extended periods of time.
- It creates the opportunity to pursue employment opportunities in either country of nationality.
- It improves the right to social benefits, to own land or property and to inherit assets from either country.
- It creates the entitlement to convey nationality rights to offspring.
- It caters for those who feel equal alliance to both countries of origin
DISADVANTAGES of Dual Citizenship Application In Ghana
- Dual citizenship exposes citizens with dual nationality to expectation that they should contribute, for example through national service, or taxation to their former countries.
- Dual nationality possibly complicates some domestic legal issues such as custody disputes.
- Dual nationality requires the impossible or unreasonable that people should owe allegiance to more than one country.
- Dual nationality is counter to the notion of national identity, loyalty and cohesion.