Passing Chevening Essay Questions
Chevening Essay Questions
Applications for fully-funded Chevening Scholarships to study for one-year master’s degrees at UK universities are now open. Some Chevening Fellowships are also now open for applications.
To Win the prestigious Chevening Scholarship, Applicants are required to submit four(4) essays.
Chevening Essay Questions
Here are factors to consider before making any attempt,
You need to think over these four broader points to answer the four questions mentioned below:
1. Explain the Problem.
2. Demand of the problem/ what needs to be done?
3. Explain your work (individual/group) to solve the problem.
4. What was the outcome/impact on society/ nation/ world?
How do you write a Chevening scholarship essay?
If you’re thinking of applying yourself, here are some tips for you,
- #1 It’s not just about you.
- #2 Check the eligibility criteria.
- #3 Observe the timeline.
- #4 Research, research, research!
- #5 Write your essay with conviction and consideration.
- #6 Don’t duplicate, don’t cheat!
- #7 Prepare to elaborate.
Writing Chevening Scholarship Essay Questions
The application involves writing four essays in English which can be broadly described as,
1) Leadership and Influence (Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain to them how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.) (Minimum word count: 100 words, Maximum word count: 500 words)
A. Give the background of your life that may be in the form of childhood experiences/ rural background/ poverty/ deficit environment/ first-generation learner/ orphan/ drugs ( Not more than 50-60 words)
B. Use 1-2 leadership examples. The leadership examples may be at the school /University/Job Level. Further, substantiate the above with evidence.
C. There can be more than one leadership example at any level but these examples must be presented in a progressive manner. The flow is of the essence here and shows its influence/impact on the societal/ national/ international level.
2) Networking (Chevening is looking for individuals with strong professional relationship building skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Please explain how you build and maintain relationships in a professional capacity, using clear examples of how you currently do this, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future. )(Minimum word count: 100 words; Maximum word count: 500 words)
Here, the aspirants should focus on showing effective networking (means how s/he is/was associated with different people/organisations professionally) through various examples. The networking can be shown by showing one’s association with
· Civil Society
· International organizations.
Again, take 1-2 concrete examples which reflect your capability of establishing networks with various people/organizations. You need to establish that you are a team player and involved the stakeholders in understanding and finding the solution to a societal problem.
3) Why Study in the UK and why the three course choices? (Outline why you have selected your three university courses, and explain how these relate to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future. Please do not duplicate the information you have entered on the work experience and education section of this form)(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)
This question demands aspirants to do comprehensive research about two things
1. The chosen course.
2. The three universities where you want to pursue this course. The aspirants should focus their research on modules (subjects) taught in the university and the professors who teach these modules.
In this question, aspirants should write 2-3 lines about one work/goal and how a particular Course and University will help in achieving the goal.
Write one paragraph for each University (i.e. a total of three paragraphs).
The last Paragraph of Chevening Scholarships should focus on how becoming a Chevening Scholar will help in achieving your mentioned goal.
4) Career plan (Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your long-term career goals. You may wish to consider how these relate to what the UK government is doing in your country.)(Minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)
This question requires the Chevening Scholarship aspirants to discuss the plan after finishing their studies in the UK. Here, the focus should be on explaining Short/Medium and Long term career goals. This Question is make or break. The aspirants must give a clear blueprint of their career after returning from the UK.
The aspirants may mention his/her willingness to work as an academician or are having a political pursuit or want to start an organization. And how these career paths could help in achieving one’s goal mentioned above. The Last Paragraph could focus on how Chevening Scholarship will be instrumental in achieving these career goals.